Addiction is a common mental illness in our society. It affects millions of adults in the United States. But how does one become an addict? We all know that the first time use of most drugs is unlikely to land you in an addiction treatment center such as Blueprint Recovery. There are stages of addiction that a person must pass through before the addiction becomes full-blown.
Stages of Addiction
We can subdivide the stages of addiction into five distinct categories. Each category has unique characteristics.
The categories include:
- First Use: The first step towards addiction is the first use of the drug. The first use of a drug will produce powerful effects such as euphoria to the user. This may prompt the user to indulge again. At this point, it is hard for the user to notice any adverse effects of the drug.
- Regular Use: First use quickly transforms into regular use. People may begin to use the drug on a noticeable pattern. For instance, the user may just reserve the drug use for weekends or at just at night to unwind up. As they progress with drug use, they will start to exhibit symptoms of addiction. Often, the clearest symptom of addiction is the user’s inability to perform their tasks without having a taste of their favorite drug.
- Risky Use: Regular use can escalate into risky use. The risky use of a drug pushes the user to exhibit dangerous behavior. For instance, they may involve themselves in drunk driving as they believe the drug makes them invincible. The risky use of the drug will also strain the relationship that the user maintains with their close friends and family.
- Dependence: At this point, the individual’s tolerance to the effects of the drug is so high. They will need large amounts of the drug to feel its effects. If they go without the drug for some time, they begin to experience withdrawal symptoms. Users can also experience intense cravings for the drug.
- Substance Use Disorder: This is the final phase in the stages of addiction. The user cannot function normally if they do not use the drug. At this stage, it is quite easy for the user to lose their job, drop out of school, or even get into financial distress because of the drug use. Joining a substance abuse treatment program can be helpful for the user to regain their former lives.
Addiction Treatment at Blueprint Recovery
Blueprint Recovery Center has programs and therapies that can help you fight your addiction. Some of these programs include:
- Alcohol addiction treatment program: The program targets alcoholics who are trying to recover. It will enable you to detox then enroll you in an addiction treatment plan that suits your need.
- Opioid addiction treatment program: Opioids are very addictive. Getting over this addiction can have some severe withdrawals. This program will help you manage these withdrawals through the use of medication. This will boost your chance of making a full recovery.
- Drug addiction treatment program: This facility can help you with an addiction to any form of the drug, whether legal or illegal. Therapies are available to make the recovery journey smooth for you or your loved one.
- Heroin addiction treatment program: Heroin is a special kind of opioid. Getting over its addiction needs specialized treatment. This program will offer this kind of treatment.
Visit Blueprint Recovery for Help Today
You can pass through the initial stages of addiction without knowing it. The signs at these stages may be so subtle, especially for the drug user. However, enrolling in a mental health facility early enough can help you recognize which stage you are in. You will then be able to get the treatment that suits your level of addiction. If you or your loved one is battling addiction, visit our center or reach out to Blueprint Recovery via 833.654.1004. We are in a position to help you win this battle.